Safe mental health space The Sanctuary now run by Second Step
Mental health charity Second Step is delivering Bristol-based The Sanctuary after taking on the service from St Mungo’s.
The Sanctuary, which is based at Southmead Hospital, is a safe space where people can come for mental health support if they’re having trouble coping with life or feeling lonely or isolated. It’s a place to pause, take a breather, and find some balance when things feel overwhelming.
The Sanctuary offers face-to-face sessions and a telephone service with trained support workers to anyone aged 16 years old or over.
Second Step Chief Executive Aileen Edwards said:
“We’re delighted to be taking on this very important service which support people from across Bristol. We know how much it means to everyone who uses The Sanctuary and we’re determined to carry on this vital work.”
One of The Sanctuary’s clients, who preferred not to be named, said:
“I don’t know where I would be without The Sanctuary”.
Some reasons people come to The Sanctuary:
- Stress or frustration
- Anxiety, worrying, or feeling overwhelmed
- Depression, low moods or feelings of sadness
- Feeling apathetic, like nothing matters or finding it hard to look forward to things
- Feeling unmotivated or feeling a lack of meaning or purpose
- Feeling lonely or isolated
- Finding it hard to relate to others or missing meaningful social connections
- Finding it difficult to manage emotions
- Grief or loss
- Circumstantial challenges, such as work, money, social or personal issues
The Sanctuary is open on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday evenings for appointments between 6pm to 12.30am with the last appointment being offered at 11pm.
Sessions are by appointment only and can be booked by calling The Sanctuary on 07709 295 661 during client opening hours – Thursdays to Mondays between 3pm and 11pm.
Referrals will be responded to between 3pm and 6pm. Second Step can offer access to other support services and provide a free taxi home.
The Sanctuary’s address is: Gloucester House, Dorian Way, Southmead Hospital, Bristol, BS10 5NB0
More information about Second Step:
- Second Step is a leading mental health organisation in the south-west. We believe that with the right support, everyone can take control of their life and make their future their own.
- Working hand-in-hand with the NHS and local authorities, we offer practical help and emotional support tailored to each individual and their recovery.
- We also look at the blocks and barriers people come across in the system and actively find ways to improve and change the way organisations work together.
- The people who use our services, our clients, are at the heart of our organisation, and our involvement groups help inform and improve the services we deliver.
- For latest news go to our News Hub, X (formerly Twitter) and Instagram @wearesecondstep