Work with us
We believe in a world where everyone affected by mental health problems can create a positive future.
Join our team
If you’re a values-driven individual who is passionate about improving the lived experience of people with mental health needs, you’ve come to the right place.
We have a variety of mental health roles across the wider Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Somerset, North Somerset, and Bath & North East Somerset areas. Have a look at our current vacancies and you might be joining our 300-strong team of great people putting mental health first for thousands of people across the South West region. We also have a fantastic central team supporting all our services.
We also recruit people with a variety of skills, many with lived experience of mental health issues, to our highly valued team of mental health volunteers.
What else can we tell you?
We’re proud to hold the Investors in People accreditation, and our people report that Second Step is a great place to work. We don’t rest on our laurels though. We continuously work with staff to make working life the best it can be for everyone.
We are a Mindful Employer which means we recognise how important it is to support our staff, as well as those who access our services, when they are experiencing stress, anxiety, depression or any other mental health issue.
We are taking positive action to increase diversity throughout our organisation, at all levels, and to nurture a culture of inclusion for all our people and the clients that we support.
We welcome applications from people who have personal experience of using mental health services.
We strive to be an anti-racist organisation with a culture of compassion and inclusivity driven by our addressing racism strategy launched in December 2021. We have pledged to make Second Step a safe space where everyone can thrive.
We are very pleased with our current Gender Pay Gap of minus 1.9%. We will continue striving to ensure all genders are paid fairly and equitably.
Why choose a career in mental health with Second Step? - Our benefits
In addition to competitive salaries externally benchmarked with the market we offer:
- As much flexibility within working hours as possible to enable staff to enjoy a better work-life balance. We offer flexible working, flexi-time and blended working dependent on job role and operational requirements.
- 26 days annual leave rising by one day each year up to a maximum of 30 days after five years.
- A pension scheme with 6% contributions from Second Step if you contribute at least 3% of your gross basic salary.
- A Sick Pay scheme paying one week's full pay and one week's half pay for new entrants up to 13 weeks’ full pay and 13 weeks’ half pay after five years’ service with annual increments.
- Enhanced maternity pay.
- An Employee Assistance Programme hosted by BUPA providing a confidential telephone line for staff, partners and any children over the age of 16 living at home.
- A cycle to work scheme allowing employees to claim tax relief on the cost of a new bike and accessories.
- Free flu vaccinations.
- Comprehensive in-house induction training programme and ongoing vocational workshops.
Become part of our stories of change
Hear directly from our clients about how our services, delivered by our incredible staff and volunteers, impact their lives:
Find out more about Second Step
Read more about who we are, what we do, and our approach to mental health support & recovery on our about us page.
You can also find out more about our vision, mission and values here.
How to apply for one of our mental health roles
Take a look at our current mental health job vacancies in Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Somerset, North Somerset, and Bath & North East Somerset and apply directly online.