Floating Support Bath and North East Somerset
Bath and North East Somerset (BANES) Floating Support is short to medium-term service for people with mental health problems who are either finding it difficult to manage their tenancy and could be at risk of losing their home or are moving into a new tenancy and need support to do this.
What support will I receive?
Together we will agree how often you will need support and will develop a recovery plan with you based on your needs, interests and aspirations. We offer both practical and emotional support, including help with:
- sorting out your financial situations
- filling in forms
- talking to utility companies
- dealing with other agencies
- meeting new people in the community
- accessing higher level mental health or more specialist support e.g. drug and alcohol, debt management, employment support etc.
- benefit claims/appeals
- budgeting, maintaining home, attending appointments.
Generally you will receive one to two hours of support per week, although this will vary at times depending on your circumstances.
We will review the level of support you receive regularly. Our aim is to help you to get to the stage where you are able to manage your accommodation with the right levels of support, develop a suitable support network and become more independent.
We also run regular service user involvement groups. This is a chance for you to meet like minded people, give feedback, shape the service, try new activities or hobbies.
Who can use this service?
If you want to be considered for the Floating Support Service, you need to:
- either rent your own home or be a home owner (we may accept individuals who are currently in supported accommodation but are looking for support to move into their own independent tenancy)
- would like support to manage your tenancy
- have current mental health needs
- requiring some level of support to live independently
- be aged over 18
- live anywhere within Bath and North East Somerset. We have recently taken over Virgin Care’s rural service and so are keen to support individuals who are living in the more rural/isolated areas of BANES.
You may also apply for the service while in bed and breakfast accommodation or while in a hostel or in hospital. However, you will only be able to use the service once you have your own flat or rented accommodation.
You may be part of a family or have a partner, but we will only give support to people on an individual basis - not to the whole family or couples.
Will I need to pay anything?
The support we provide is completely free. Most of our funding to run this service comes from the Government's 'Supporting People' programme.
What happens next?
You will need to make a referral to the Bath and North East Somerset Housing and Support Gateway. Please get in touch once a referral is made so we can confirm we have received it and advise on next steps.
We currently have capacity and are open for referrals.
You can refer yourself or be referred by anyone helping with your support (GP, healthcare professional, friends or family etc.). We will then complete an assessment with you to understand your specific support needs and get background information to help us decide if we are the right service for you.
For support to complete referral, contact Reach on 01225 422156. They can help with getting the referral form completed and submitted.