If you're feeling suicidal, in crisis or finding it difficult to cope, the following numbers may be of use:        

Alzheimer's Society - 0300 222 1122

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health NHS Trust  - 01225 325680

Bristol Crisis Service - 0300 555 0334

Bristol Mind - 0808 808 0330

No Panic - 0844 967 0330

Rethink - 0300 5000 927

Samaritans - 0117 983 1000 (Branch) 08457 909090 (UK)

SANE - 0845 767 8000

Womankind - 0845 458 2914 or 0117 9166 461

GP or local Crisis Team:

If you are already in touch with local mental health services, you can contact your GP or crisis team. Even if it is out of hours, there will be an answer phone message advising you of whom to contact in an emergency, together with other useful telephone numbers. 

If you feel suicidal and would like to see a professional urgently, your local hospital accident and emergency department might be worth visiting. There will be a duty psychiatrist available to assess people's needs and assist in finding the necessary support. You could also phone NHS Direct on: 0845 4647   

Crisis and Home Intervention Team:  0300 555 0334


  • Bristol Crisis Service for Women: 0117 925 1119
  • Crisis Team, Bristol Central: 0117 955 6243
  • Social Services (College Green): 0117 9224 748
  • Bristol Royal Infirmary: 0117 923 0000


North Somerset:

  • The North Somerset Crisis Team: 01934 836 467  (Patient must have previously been referred to this service by GP or Mental Health Service Organisation) 
  • North Somerset Council Out of Hours: 01934 622 669
  • North Somerset Emergency Social Services: 01454 615 165



  • B&NES Emergency Mental Health Team: 01454 615165
  • B&NES Council Social Services Mental Health: 01225 396256


South Gloucestershire: 

  • South Gloucestershire Council Mental Health: 01454 866221


Help for someone other than yourself:       

In an emergency, if you are concerned about the well-being of a relative or friend and feel they are mentally un-well and are putting themselves or somebody else at risk, you could try contacting their local social services emergency duty team, the home-intervention and crisis team or the police (The numbers are given above). If it is appropriate a social worker on duty will arrange for a mental health assessment. Relevant contact numbers should be available in a local telephone directory, or on the local Primary Care Trust website.

You can also phone their GP, there will be an out of hours or emergency number on their answer machine.